Author Topic: More greek Gods?  (Read 11375 times)

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
Re: More greek Gods?
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 13:10:27 »
*wants to see the "source" statue with pink shorts*
;D  :lol:

Even though it is not widely known to the public, the ancient statues were frequently painted (!) and in several cases there are remains of the color that allow a semi-accurate reconstruction of how the original looked like. After thousands of years, those paints have worn away and we only see the white marble today.

See also https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/gods-in-color-ancient-world-polychromy/index.html and the first image below

Having said that, the truth could have been worse than the pink shorts, see second image (!!!)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 20:51:39 »
Yes, regarding how they should look like according to Greek statues etc.

One could simply ask a professor or expert in history or architecture what they should look like, or consult a decent book on the matter  ???

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2018, 05:15:24 »
That Scythian archer is pretty amazing, especially when you think that the design had to be hand woven as the fabric was being made. The patterns on his vest would have been embroidered on, again by hand.

As for the klickies, they're vastly superior to what appears in that new tv series about Troy.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2018, 05:38:23 »
One could simply ask a professor or expert in history or architecture what they should look like, or consult a decent book on the matter  ???

I think the issue is that they decided to be cheapskates by making these using existing moulds only. Hermes doesn't have a headband with mini wings. This is like replacing a bonfire with a plate of tea lights. They could have made a brimmed hat with pegs for larger wings to be stuck too. The wings on his sandals are also meant to be a decent size. They could have made clip on wings for his ankles. He also has a particular looking staff which is not well represented by the snake staff he's been given.
I like the figure but he's probably the worst in terms of accuracy.

It's like for films and tv they consult experts on what things should look like for historic settings. Then 99% of what the expert says gets ignored in favour of budget and due to low audience expectation.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2018, 07:32:51 »
;D  :lol:

Even though it is not widely known to the public, the ancient statues were frequently painted (!) and in several cases there are remains of the color that allow a semi-accurate reconstruction of how the original looked like. After thousands of years, those paints have worn away and we only see the white marble today.

See also https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/gods-in-color-ancient-world-polychromy/index.html and the first image below

Having said that, the truth could have been worse than the pink shorts, see second image (!!!)

There's color, and then there's zumba shorts. I have no issue with the use of color on Demeter, though she could use better accessories. I thought Artemis is usually shown in a mid-length chiton, but they went with hot pink hot pants?

A harlequin archer would be interesting to see in Playmobil.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2018, 07:42:26 »

I think any of us with a short trip around google and the poptubs could come up with more accurate klickys. Still.. like the PCC was  :'(, it IS a step in the right direction.

As for the klickies, they're vastly superior to what appears in that new tv series about Troy.

OT: new series?! What new series?

(I agree about that harlequin archer!)

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2018, 10:21:58 »

I didn't even try to watch this... Black Zeus and black Achilles !!!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2018, 12:09:37 »
I didn't even try to watch this... Black Zeus and black Achilles !!!

Ah.. Troy: Fall of a City?  (googled it)

I see your point. Makes me feel better... Maybe I knew about it before, but discarded it...

Still, some ridiculous black gods would provide interesting parts... Since Poseidon (at least) will need to be redone anyways, that'd be a plus!  ;D

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2018, 21:16:26 »
Some new images from a Greek FB page

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2018, 23:20:29 »
Looks like new color variations on animals in the Poseidon set, and that snake cane in Hermes.