Author Topic: Gannicus and Saxa  (Read 9801 times)

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Gannicus and Saxa
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 19:47:22 »
Picture.  Yes.

The original hair color is on the left,  dyed hair on the right:

As far as materials:  If you can't find  RIT dye,  just drop a Playmo hair into a cup of boiling hot coffee (or tea.)   Let the coffee cool to room temp, fish out your piece, rinse it off. 
(If your piece should happen to come out too dark, rinse in VERY HOT water.)

The steps are almost the same with store-bought dye.

Small expense and learning curve:  even the not-quite-right can give fun results.  (I wanted the Victorian lady to have BROWN hair, but the tan is even more interesting.)

The Victorian Lady is fully playable.  Hair pops on normally.  The peaks of her white ruffle on her shoulder where the hair touches may darken eventually, but 4-5months in , it is still OK.

We will never store her in a drawer next to white plastic.  That's her restriction. 

The hair still looks like (IS!) Playmo plastic, not painted hair. 

doug

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 20:09:42 »
Picture.  Yes.

The original hair color is on the left,  dyed hair on the right:

AWESOME! And actually that is the color we were after.... Though in this case, doesn't have to be a very SPECIFIC shade..

Coffee or tea, you say? Like.. ordinary coffee?

Might try that! ;)

Thanks!

Edit.. as to the color bleeding.. well.. he won't be STORED next to "lighter" plastic, but during ... PLAY, might come in contact with Saxa, for one, and other... let's say... flesh colored plastic.. would it "bleed" into those, you think?

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 20:49:25 »
 I don't think it would bleed during play.  Not short term.  I wouldn't STORE/DISPLAY them abutting, tho. 

To help prevent bleed, I would maybe give the hair 2 hot water baths afterwards.  After the coffee (yeah, try normal coffee, it works to dye clothes http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Fabric-With-Coffee and the RIT was meant for clothes, so it is at least worth a try...I never tried coffee on plastics, myself.  [ tahra = guinea pig])

After dye bath, fill your cup with clean, boiling water, dunk dyed hair, let cool, etc.  Repeat if the water turns very dark.  This is meant to pull away any "loose" dye from the plastic but, of course, it can also fade your dyed piece back towards its original color.  The end result tho, is less bleed.

Let me know how it progresses.  If the coffee has little effect, the dye powders only run about ~ $2.50 here, so they wouldn't be much of an outlay. 
Definitely try it with household supplies first, tho!!  Free is good!

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 21:27:02 »
Wow where to start just those customs look so totally awesome really love what you've done to acheive that burnished leather sort of effect on Saxa and the guy is a really nice combinaton of pieces as well they make a lovely couple. That tattoo looks really good as well may not be as detailed as it's meant to be but, personally I think it takes a lot of talent and a steady hand to draw something like that at that scale well done  :)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 04:32:32 »
Very good customs, Tahra!   :)9  And the tattoo proves your handskill is certainly steady enough!  ;)

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline gaspodfreud

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:30 »
Hello Tahra , nice idea , nice customs !! your stickers looks very good ! jeremy

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 19:51:55 »
i love them, Tahra!!!
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Hallensis

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 08:46:09 »
Very well done ! The skirt from Saxa is interesting and looks very nice.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 20:08:16 »
Updated versions on playkingdoms...

direct link on playkingdoms

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 22:25:53 »
These customs are sensational, Tahra!! I like the tattoo a lot! Thanks for sharing  :love:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.