Author Topic: "Jus prima noctis" and the 3627 Merry men's feast  (Read 11421 times)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
"Jus prima noctis" and the 3627 Merry men's feast
« on: June 16, 2006, 16:34:13 »
Prima noctis means something like "right to the first night", and is an old sort of law from the medieval ages. Whenever a common girl got married, the local lord or nobleman had the right to her on the first night of her marriage.   :-*  :o

It's easy to understand that this was not popular among the commoners, and not all lords demanded this right. In some litterateur prima noctis was the spark that started a local riot. It is well illustrated in the movie Braveheart with Mel Gibson.  ;)

As the perfect toy Playmobil is, it has of course captured prima noctis in the cool set 3627.

The pictures on the box tells their own story. Let me show you  :yup:

(Sorry for the poor quality on the photos, I had to tilt the box to get rid of the reflection).

The stars are as follow:

Bride

Groom

Priest

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
Re: "Jus prima noctis" and the 3627 Merry men's feast
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 16:37:08 »
More stars:

Mother-in-law

Father-in-law

Roving hunter (guest to the wedding)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 16:37:54 »
Dinner or a gift

And finally the local lord.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 16:45:13 »
Our story starts at the wedding.  :D Everybody are happy, drinking, dancing, eating and playing the instruments.  :lol:  :**:

But suddenly, the lord appears. He will demand his prima noctis. The priest sees this, and fearing the lord's demand might start a riot, he tries to buy the lord of with bear. Best thing is to it fast, before the weddingguests can see the lord. It can be seen on the front of the box:

But oh no, the lord becomes angry, draws his sword.  >:D And even worse, the roving hunter has noticed that the lord is here, he is looking in our direction. How will this end??  :0

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 16:49:16 »
Naturally, the roving hunter kills the lord with a single arrow.  :o He is then buried under a huge oak tree.

In that way, nobody will ever find out he was killed. Because if they did, the hunter would get a price on his head. He would be hunted down and hanged by the lord's henchmen.  :-\

But fear not, the groom has a perfect plan. The roving hunter can easily hide inside a empty barrel of beer  ;D

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 16:50:19 »
I know it as "droite de Seigneur" - but it comes down to the same  ;D
Anyway - I can see your point; though I prefer to see it as a game of squaffing  :-[

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 16:52:36 »
The wedding now know they will go free. There will be no prima noctis, the evil lord is dead, no riot and none of them will ever be punished.  :**:

This is celebrated by drinking a gigantic barrel of beer. Notice that even the priest is so drunk that he cannot stand up straight  0) ;)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 16:55:14 »
Killing of the lord was the perfect crime. Not a single person will ever know about it, because there were no witnesses.

Or were there.....

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 16:56:39 »
well, this was just my 2 cents about the 3627. I love the historical perfectness of Playmobil  :lol:

Thanks for reading  :wave:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 18:44:16 »
That's a great story, kristian, and a great use of the box art. :)

In the UK we use the term droite de siegneurtoo.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”