Author Topic: Hello to all  (Read 11356 times)

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
Hello to all
« on: January 12, 2008, 22:34:20 »
Hello from Canada.

I've been lurking on this board for a while and this is my first post. I have loved playmobil since I was a kid in the seventies growing up in Scotland. I was always obsessed by the Tudor houses but we never seemed to see them locally or any of the larger sets for that matter. I have a modest collection of town and castle themed items. As you can see from the avatar, my favourite set of all time is the merry men's feast.

I am married to a Canadian with two small children. My daughter shares my Playmobil obsession and loves Robin Hood. I was a police constable in Scotland and now do the same in Canada.

In case you're interested Abbot Hamilton was the last abbot of my home town's abbey before being executed during the Reformation. On that happy note Maintiens Le Droit.
O brother where for art thou?

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Hello to all
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 22:54:35 »
Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:

We're all glad that you decided to join in the fun here at PlaymoFriends. :D
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself! :)

Whereabouts in Scotland do you hail from originally? I'm born and raised in Australia, but I've been living in Inverness (UK) for almost 15 years now.

I love that set you chose your avatar from. It's also one of my favourites. 8-)

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 23:01:06 »
I was born in Paisley(yes that terrible town) and grew up there. I did live in Australia for a couple of years when I was younger. My dad worked in Perth, Western Australia and we lived in Fremantle. I don't remember too much apart from the heat and opening Christmas presents in the sun! We moved back to Scotland when I was five years old.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 23:44:01 »
I've never been to Paisley (so I can't comment ;D), and I've only ever visited Perth's airport in WA during a long-haul flight. I have been to two other Perths though. There's one in my home state of Tasmania. I assume the British settlers named both places after the Scottish town in Perthshire.

I do miss the warmth and sunshine from time to time. I bet you enjoyed living in Fremantle! Tasmania's climate is not quite as hot and dry as that of Western Australia, but it was a heck of a lot warmer than here! ;)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:15:06 »

A big welcome from the warm and beautiful United States Virgin Islands ...  :wave:

"Maintiens Le Droit" ... ???

Are you a constable with the RCMP? ... :)

Looking forward to seeing lots of you here at Playmofriends!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:03 »
Howdy, and welcome from Arizona! :wave:

Jimbo

Offline Janice

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:54:59 »
Hi!
I'm new to this board too.  I'm so amazed at the talents and dedication to playmobil that these members show.  I find it very informative and fascinating and hope you will enjoy it as much as I am.   :wave:
Janice

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 02:08:35 »
Hello Richard, Janice and Jimbo,

thanks for the welcome.

Yes Richard I am a member of the RCMP. Are you an ex-member yourself? I've seen some of your postings and wondered. Love your attachment of the Mountie. Pity mother mountie sold her soul to Disney for a few scheckels. I'm sure most people on this board realise why the Mountie figure was withdrawn without going over it again.

I registered on the other board last year, but remained a lurker there too. At least i'm not alone in my obsession.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 02:27:00 »

Yes Richard I am a member of the RCMP. Are you an ex-member yourself? I've seen some of your postings and wondered. Love your attachment of the Mountie. Pity mother mountie sold her soul to Disney for a few scheckels. I'm sure most people on this board realise why the Mountie figure was withdrawn without going over it again.

I am an ex-member of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. However, we currently have an RCMP member living in our Summer home on Vancouver Island.

Are you in Western, Central or Eastern Canada?

And, as you've suggested, Most people here probably know why Playmobil quickly discontinued their Mountie figure. Yet, if there's anyone who doesn't know why, and wants to know, please ask.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 07:45:02 »
Most people here probably know why Playmobil quickly discontinued their Mountie figure. Yet, if there's anyone who doesn't know why, and wants to know, please ask.

Why? I have absolutely no idea.

I'd be interested in Abbot and Richard's opinions on the Police theme. I have a few Police, mainly ones that came in eBay auctions with other figures I wanted, but I like the black-clad beret-wearing ones - a SWAT team?

I was looking for a mountie figure, but got a couple of Park rangers who are the same figure in different colours.