Author Topic: My samurai using a decorated 3D-printed Yari  (Read 1410 times)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
My samurai using a decorated 3D-printed Yari
« on: July 25, 2017, 00:55:30 »
The yari were said to have evolved from Chinese spears but only became popular until the late 15th century.

They had straight blades anywhere from several centimeters to 3 feet or more in length
and shafts often decorated with inlays of metal or semiprecious materials such as brass pins, lacquer, or flakes of pearl.

During the Mongol invasions of Japan in 1274 and 1281,
the Mongols employed footmen wielding long pikes and fought in tight formations moving in large units to stave off cavalry.
Swords were then relegated to emergency sidearm status.

Around the latter half of the 16th century, the Japanese foot soldiers(ashigaru) began holding pikes with length of 4.5 to 6.5 m
combined with soldiers bearing Japanese matchlocks and short spears.

The yari eventually became more popular than the longbow as a weapon for the samurai.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: My samurai using a decorated 3D-printed Yari
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:55:33 »
A great playmorepresentation, as always...

6m?! That should be fun to travel with...

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:08:54 »
6m?! That should be fun to travel with...
...now you got me wondering how they transport them...mount them level on horses? ...might as well give these horses a slap on their backsides and send them galloping towards their enemy  :lol:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:30:16 »
...now you got me wondering how they transport them...mount them level on horses? ...might as well give these horses a slap on their backsides and send them galloping towards their enemy  :lol:

How about through a forest?! :0

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 15:35:10 »
How about through a forest?! :0

guess they have to carry those long pikes over their shoulders pointing low, backwards and tell those behind not to follow blindly  :lol:
or let this bloke carry them

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 18:37:57 »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 18:44:20 »
Excellent custom, cheng, as ever.

Having seem English Civil War re-enactors with pikes, they carry them on their left shoulder, point rearwards and pointing up when marching, e.g. up t the battlefield or through a town to impress the townsfolk..

When travelling any distance in the Civil War itself, wagons were used which could carry pikes or artillery ammunition or other munitions or supplies in bulk.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 00:45:14 »
... wagons were used which could carry pikes or artillery ammunition or other munitions or supplies in bulk.

thanks Gordon!
that would most probably be the same for samurai armies except that in samurai movies, for practical reasons, the producer might not bother to show transport columns unless the story line requires it and also they probably opt for shorter versions of these Yari (which according to Wiki, can be up to 6.5 m /21 ft, and like Tahra was wondering as to how tricky it would have been to transport them through forests) 

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:24 »
thanks Gordon!
that would most probably be the same for samurai armies except that in samurai movies, for practical reasons, the producer might not bother to show transport columns unless the story line requires it and also they probably opt for shorter versions of these Yari (which according to Wiki, can be up to 6.5 m /21 ft, and like Tahra was wondering as to how tricky it would have been to transport them through forests)

Not only film producers might opt for a shorter version.  There were cases where troops shortened their pikes by 2 or 3 feet to make them easier to carry and handle, which was fine until they found themselves fighting soldiers with the full length pike!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 17:22:14 »
.... There were cases where troops shortened their pikes by 2 or 3 feet to make them easier to carry and handle, which was fine until they found themselves fighting soldiers with the full length pike!

now I'm wondering if this happened in samurai armies too...everyone's human until they lose their head  :lol: