Author Topic: A Battle with Medieval Playmobil  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: A Battle with Medieval Playmobil
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 12:52:55 »

... yes, it would be possible to go outside, and indeed I have occasionally contemplated doing so. A garden wargame in... wait for it... a garden  ;)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 13:31:08 »
Great battle Andrew, did you use a set of rules or just wing it?

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:19:36 »
Great battle Andrew, did you use a set of rules or just wing it?

Hi Martin,

I did use rules, but not any established set. H G Wells's Little Wars is very artillery-dependent, and so not suitable for a medieval battle. I could probably use something like Mordheim or Warhammer, but I've never been into either of those. I've found some other sets of rules on the web (e.g., De Bellis Antiquitatis and De Bellis Multitudinis), and of course WoT's own Melee Combat rules (see http://gardenwargaming.playclicks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1370.0). No offense to any of these (or their authors WoT!), but I find most of them overly complex and too dependent on keeping track of too much information on scorecards.

Also, I don't know of anyone else in my area who would be interested in medieval wargaming with Playmobil, so I fight out the battles on my own: me against me. That being the case, there's not much chance of being surprised by the opposing general!

What I do is mostly determined by rolling six-sided dice and leaving quite a bit of the action up to the luck of the dice. I do keep track of units' morale on pieces of paper, but most of the rest of the play is down to lots of individual combats between Klickys: higher roll wins!

The 'story' I told in the G-W thread is a synopsis of what happened, but I didn't know what the outcome would be when it started. Each army takes its turn, and I try to maneuver the troops in such a way as to gain maximum advantage against the other side, but, like I said, success or failure in combat (and in questions or morale) is down to the dice.

Anyway, it amuses me, and I enjoy it, so that's the key thing, right?

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 13:18:19 »

Anyway, it amuses me, and I enjoy it, so that's the key thing, right?

ABSOLUTELY !!! ...  :klickygrin:

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 18:26:23 »

Maybe some day I'll have space to fight one out on a really grand scale :prays:

You dont call this grand scale??? :omg:
I have battles a 1/4 of the size and they are "big" for me... :P
I hope you had fun!

Also, I don't know of anyone else in my area who would be interested in medieval wargaming with Playmobil...

Where (Not exsacly of course... approxomatly) do you live? ;)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:03:15 »
Hi WoT,

Sorry not to have replied sooner...

Yes, it was a lot of fun, though all the bending and kneeling left my joints a bit sore after a while!

You are right: 'grand scale' is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to think 'grand' means the sort of scale some folks over on Garden Wargaming can do: 1-2,000 figures set up over 25+ square metres. I don't want to get fixated on the space or number of figures, though: bigger is not always better. The key thing is having fun!

I live in Portsmouth, in England.

And by the way... I'm fighting another battle now, so there will be more pictures up on G-W hopefully in the next week or so.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:47:51 »
1-2,000 klickies... That would be grand scale! :o
I have always marveled at the amount of Playmobil some folks at Garden Wargaming use for their battles! (Think of that with Medieval klickies! :love: )

England... Too bad, slightly far a way for me (I live in the US)... ;)

Can't wait to see that pictures!
Steck is BACK! <:>