Author Topic: Help with non-working RC Locos  (Read 5965 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Help with non-working RC Locos
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 16:38:08 »
What you say, tahra, does point to the possibility of dirty contacts - see my post above.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 16:41:07 »
The first RC steam loco I bought appeared to have no aerial, but it was stuck inside the boiler.  It should stick up out of the dome Behind the funnel; there is a hole in the forward part of the top of the dome for this.  Even with the aerial stuck inside, the loco should work if all else is OK.

Right, I thought there was no aerial because I didn't see it peeking, as in the Nostalgie.. Could be inside..

You know that the batteries in the grey battery case for the 4016 ICE loco work, so put these in the grey case into each of the other locos and see if they work then.  If they do, then the problem is solved. 

Both batteries work - I did try both on the ICE loco.

If the locos still do not work, with a torch look into the space where the battery holder goes.  At the end of it there should be two bright and shiny copper contacts.  If they are not bright and shiny but green or grey looking, then the problem is dirty contacts and you need to clean them.  A glass fibre pen is ideal, if not a bit of glass paper or sand paper wrapped over the end of a pen or pencil. 

Try these and then report back.

That I didn't try... I have sandpaper, will do - on the weekend.

Thank you :)

(forgot this one)
As starter sets always provide more curved than straight tracks that's a common problem. Either sell those plastic tracks an purchase LGB or PIKO tracks instead (expensive) or look for straight tracks in the www.

Right - I realized that only later.. So I suppose my hope of finding someone to trade the rails with was stupid  :-[ ... will look for a lot of straight rails on ebay, and then maybe try and sell some of the curved ones..

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 19:13:33 »
That I didn't try... I have sandpaper, will do - on the weekend.

Tried (had to go there), didn't work... Amazingly, the one that seemed dirtier was the ICE.. the one that works!  :o

:(

Here's the Xmas, before..

And after

The Nostalgie seems fine, it's all shiny:

And the missing antenna:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 20:20:01 by tahra »

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 20:55:12 »
Ok, nochmal zum Mitdenken:
Fernbedienung geht, Quarze passen, der Akkublock hat Strom => mit einer anderen Lok geht's, aber mit dieser nicht.
Just to be sure: Control, quartzes and battery case do work with another engine (=> nothing wrong here) but not with that one?

(1) Lassen sich die Räder (a) ganz frei drehen; (b) gegen leichten Widerstand drehen; (c) so gut wie gar nicht drehen?
=> (a) kann heißen, daß gar kein Motor drin ist (wäre sehr seltsam, hatte ich aber schonmal als Fehlerquelle).
=> (b) heißt, daß der Fehler woanders liegt *g*.
=> (c) kann heißen, daß sich der Motor festgefressen hat. Du kannst vorsichtig probieren, die Räder mit den Händen anzudrehen.

(1) Try to make the wheels spin (turn, birl?) by hand. They (a) spin freely; (b) can be moved with slight efford; (c) they can hardly be moved at all...
=> (a) the motor's missing (quite unlikely but I do have an engine here sent to me to find the reason why it's not working - and it simply lacks a motor... someone must have extricated it)
=> (b) that's fine, keep looking for another reason...
=> (c) motor might have seized up. Carefully try to make wheels move/turn/spin/birl... by hand.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 21:01:25 »
Just to be sure: Control, quartzes and battery case do work with another engine (=> nothing wrong here) but not with that one?

All works with the ICE "loco" - the other two locos don't work.

(1) Try to make the wheels spin (turn, birl?) by hand. They (a) spin freely; (b) can be moved with slight efford; (c) they can hardly be moved at all...
=> (a) the motor's missing (quite unlikely but I do have an engine here sent to me to find the reason why it's not working - and it simply lacks a motor... someone must have extricated it)
=> (b) that's fine, keep looking for another reason...
=> (c) motor might have seized up. Carefully try to make wheels move/turn/spin/birl... by hand.[/color]

Well, I know it is not (a), at least for the Nostalgie - but between the other two, I need to try it... 

Would be odd that it "seized" for both of them, no?

But now probably only on the weekend.. we'll see.  I REALLY didn't expect the nostalgie one to be dead.  :'(

Thank you for the help!

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 21:21:28 »
Would be odd that it "seized" for both of them, no?
Ja und nein. Eigentlich sind diese Motoren sehr robust. Aber es kann schon mal sein, daß das Fett, das den Motor schmieren sollte, verharzt ist, oder daß ein Zahnrad gebrochen ist und klemmt.

Yes and no. In general those motors are quite sturdy. But grease, ment to keept the motor running smothly, might have hardened; or a cog's broken now blocking the cogwheels.

Falls nur (b) zutrifft, käme als nächstes in Frage...
...die Stromleitung ist irgendwo unterbrochen, ein Blech gebrochen, eine Lötstelle kaputt. Dazu müßtest Du den Motor öffnen und einfach mal die Innereien mit denen eines funktionierenden Motors vergleichen.
...ein Kontakt zum Quarz ist defekt.
...die Empfangs-Steuerungs-Elektronik ist kaputt - und ich hab keine Ahnung, was man da macht.

But if only (b) applies...
...power supply might be interrupted elswhere - a broken conductor or loose solder joint maybe. You can try to carefully open the motor and compare it's insides with a working motor's ones.
...an elctric contact between quartz and electronics's broken.
...the rc-module receiving information from cotrol and passing them on to the motor is broken - and I've no idea how to fix that :-/.

jj:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 21:29:00 »
Yes and no. In general those motors are quite sturdy. But grease, ment to keept the motor running smothly, might have hardened; or a cog's broken now blocking the cogwheels.[/color]

Ah, that make sense.. They've been still a good lonnnnnnnnnng time.

But if only (b) applies...
...power supply might be interrupted elswhere - a broken conductor or loose solder joint maybe. You can try to carefully open the motor and compare it's insides with a working motor's ones.
...an elctric contact between quartz and electronics's broken.
...the rc-module receiving information from cotrol and passing them on to the motor is broken - and I've no idea how to fix that :-/.

:-\  I think all of those are beyond me... I'll try to spin the wheels manually...  I have no idea if my dad can do anything with them (he is handy with this sort of stuff, though he never messed with trains)..  The "motor blocks" are meant to be removed, right?

Are there instructions? I didn't find any on playmobil's site (the replacement apparently has no instructions online) :(

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 21:36:15 »
Den kompletten Motorblock bekommst Du leicht raus. Der ist nur eingeklipst. Dann geht's mit dem Schraubenzieher weiter.

You can remove the entire motor block easily. It's just "clipped in". And then a screw driver will help you to get on.

jj:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 07:44:32 »
You can remove the entire motor block easily. It's just "clipped in". And then a screw driver will help you to get on.

Oh, you just pull it out? Will need to look better...  :-[

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 18:43:12 »
Be careful the wheels are driven by a worm and if you spin them you may strip the drive wheel in the loco.