Author Topic: 1970’s Marx UK policeman  (Read 1987 times)

Offline CymroMobil

• Playmo Enthusiast
1970’s Marx UK policeman
« on: September 29, 2018, 15:50:03 »
There are quite a few of the UK Marx police man from the 1970’s around so are they rare or extremely desirable?

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
Re: 1970’s Marx UK policeman
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 13:25:32 »
That's only klicky I don't have ...... :love:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline CymroMobil

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 20:21:49 »
There are a few on EBay! Lol 😆

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 20:36:59 »
I just checked and found 4 which had been sold on eBay.co.uk (the most likely eBay site to find it as it was marketed by the UK licensee Marx toys) since early August 2018 varying in price from £25 to £40 (the latter was a complete set 1728/2 with box, used). All these had the original helmet, unique to Marx toys. The helmet alone sold for (under) £10 and £6.66 in a couple of other lots. The recent set 9237 is quite a lot different from the Marx toys version, but available for more reasonable prices.

I wonder why this figure sells for so much; yes it is a unique colour for the era (all body parts are dark blue, apart from the head), yes it had a unique hat (without the hat, it sells for a lot less), but it had fixed wrists. And some of the Marx toys production quality back in 1978-80 (that's a guess) when it was produced was not up to German Playmobil's standards at that time, let alone today's standards. Marks toys klickies often had 'printed' faces where the features were almost 'melted' into the face, most unattractive.

So yes, it seems to be desirable, fetches higher prices than many later Exclusive figures now fetch, but it's a bit puzzling why it's so popular, IMO!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Craig659

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 20:49:25 »
I think it's all about the hat!  Especially to collectors/customizers who are trying to create the colonial British look with the tall white campaign hats (think Zulu War).  I wish PB would put one of those out as a Klicky - even if was part of the mystery figures line.  After all, they've done a Zulu figure twice now (I think).

Craig
Craig569

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 20:51:48 »
I think it's all about the hat!  Especially to collectors/customizers who are trying to create the colonial British look with the tall white campaign hats (think Zulu War).  I wish PB would put one of those out as a Klicky - even if was part of the mystery figures line.  After all, they've done a Zulu figure twice now (I think).

But... then people would buy them by the dozen! NO.  It goes against company policy.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 00:56:48 »
Definitely the hat is a big part but I think the appeal of a known cultural figure being made in Playmo form is very great. See e.g. Martin Luther: if that klicky had come out thirty years ago in a limited run, it would be commanding high prices today. People salivate for stuff like Don Quixote, not so much for random X-TREEM cyberknight #47.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 21:12:10 »
Definitely the hat is a big part but I think the appeal of a known cultural figure being made in Playmo form is very great. See e.g. Martin Luther: if that klicky had come out thirty years ago in a limited run, it would be commanding high prices today. People salivate for stuff like Don Quixote, not so much for random X-TREEM cyberknight #47.

I was thinking how geobra would do a kaufmannszug set today and I couldn't help thinking the wagon would have some kind of missile launcher attached to it. On a side note, Elastolin produced a similar set back in the day.

Given the similarity with the siege tower and Elastolin's tower I think some "borrowing" of ideas was going on back then. These Elastolin figures are apparently 70mm, so the same height as a klicky.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:33:28 »
Interesting find!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: