Author Topic: Z scale  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Z scale
« on: January 29, 2019, 13:48:38 »
I was just wondering if any train enthusiasts have ever used the z scale (micro trains) as a sort of toy train for a playmobil diorama ? Maybe a simple loop of track on the floor of a kids room surrounded by micro playmobil . Or there are ready made layouts that could be set in the family room of a house.

I personally would like to (if it looks right to scale and all) have a few displays in a warehouse where kids and parents are gathered , a sort of train convention , and older grandpas waving sticks at the kids not to touch . Similar to what actually happens at conventions, but slightly exaggerated of course
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Z scale
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 14:25:14 »
I've discussed this with another PF  member, though more N scale if I remember right.

The problem with these very small scale layouts is that getting good electrical connectivity is so often hard to achieve.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 15:49:32 »
Nachdem ich eine "kleine" Z-Anlage habe: Das Problem liegt wohl weniger in der Stromsicherheit (ein Kreis ist leicht zu reinigen) als in der Größe. Z zu Playmobil ist ca. 1:10 in ech. Das heißt, eine Z-Bahn ist für einen Klicky doppelt so groß wie eine Playmobilbahn für uns. Ein normaler Playmobilgleiskreis braucht 1,2m, ein 1:10 Kreis bräuchte also ca. 2,4m in echt. In Playmobil (1:22) wären das gut 10cm. Der kleinste Z-Kreis braucht 30cm... Weichen haben eine vieeeeeel größeren Radius und sind für so ein Dio völlig überdimensioniert: eine Playmolbilweiche + Gegenkurve ist ca. 2 Füße lang (60cm). Eine Z-Weiche + Gegenkurve 22cm, das sind ca. 40 Klickyfüße!

As I do own a wee Z gauge layout I would say: It's not even so much a problem of safe power supply. A simple circle can easily be kept kleen. It's a matter of size and space. Z to Playmobil is 1:10. So Z to a Klicky is twice as big as is Playmobil to us. A real Playmobil circle is 1.2m in diameter so a 1:10 circle would be 2.4m. Reduced to Playmobil size that's about 10cm. Z scale's weest circle's 30cm diameter, so it's thrice as big as it ought to be to match. And as a set of points requires a muuuuuuuch greater radius: In Playmobil a set of points plus a counter curve (wonder if one can say so?) equals two feet (60cm). In Z that's 22cm, about 40 Klickys' feet... That's simply not practicable

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 15:50:27 »
As a kid I collected a lot of N scale and it was great, just seems a bit too large. I had a few z scale but mainly to look at so I am not familiar with the “connectivity” issues you mention . I would like to know more before I invest in any
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 17:07:36 »
Well, just compare the size of a LGB or Playmobil engine to a Z one. Event though supplied with extra current collectors garden trains tend to fail due to dirty tracks. Considering how much less contact a wee Z engine can have to track and power you'll see, even a bit of dust may make it stop. But as I said if it's just a circle track maintenance is no problem so connectivity shouldn't be either.

Vergleich eine Z Lok mit einer LGB oder Playmobil Lok. Obwohl sie viel größer ist, eine viel größere Auflagefläche auf der Schiene hat UND mit Schleifern ausgestattet ist, bleiben Loks auf Gartenanlagen gern hängen, weil die Gleise verschmutzt sind. Bei den kleinen Z-Loks genügt Staub. Weil aber ein einfacher Kreis auch einfach zu säubern ist, würde ich hier trotzdem kein Problem sehen.

jj:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 21:51:56 »
It's soooo pretty! And a LOT more manageable than the HUGE playmobil scale, I suppose...

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 22:50:20 »
Thank you jj for the picture of scale. I guess there is even smaller train sets out there. I recall a wee tiny set at a train show , I think it had no track ???

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:19 »
Es gibt seit ca. 12 Jahren die Spur "T", die mit 3mm die kleinste funktionsfähige Modellbahn der Welt ist. Aber ob die Geeignet ist? T-gauge is officially recognised as world's smallest model railway. Though I'm not sure wether that's suitable for Klickys.

Und er hier hat sogar einem LGB (oder doch H0?) Gärtner eine Gartenbahn spendiert. Die schummelt allerdings und fährt ohne Schienen. And here a G (or H0 indeed?) gauge gardener got his garden trains but he's cheating a wee bit not using proper tracks.

Klick für's Filmchen

jj: