Author Topic: 5805 Knights  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
5805 Knights
« on: August 30, 2007, 15:03:33 »
A fairly nice set, the yellow heraldry is good but I preferred the older wolf heraldry.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: 5805 Knights
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 15:05:31 »

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 15:06:35 »
The belt on the heavy knight is nice and may be useful elsewhere. Generally a good set, but not as great as some of the others this year.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 16:09:15 »
They describe this as Knight with Squire?  ???

A squire is a young knight-in-training, learning the ropes by helping his master keep his weapons and armour in good order, and helping him put on his armour before combat, holding his horse when the knight is dismounted etc. . A squire wouldn't have a fat belly and a full beard, he'd be too young. He'd also not have a different heraldic emblem on his shield. This should be two opposing knights.

I do like the fat-belly armour - not seen that before. The "squire's" arms are the Roman-arm moulding - they're using that everywhere they can.

The horse riding figure has his arm-armour built in. Most of the knights I have (admittedly from a few years ago) have separate armour that you clip on over the arms - thus giving the opportunity for the squire to help with dressing. Built-in armour reduces play value to my way of thinking, though of course also fewer pieces to lose.

The Gladiator from 5817 (I think) has the same arm moulding, but of course only on one arm. Compare with the Gladiator from Gladiator with Lion 5813.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 17:37:32 »
Indeed; the squire looks a bit old for that. But he could be a man at arms ... or just a very slow learner  ;D.

Anyway, I do like the new armoured arm-moulding. IMHO it gives more freedom. With the clip-on arm pieces, they tended to drop off as soon as you tried to turn the hand. Specially if there was something in it. The new moulded armoured arm does allow the arm and hand to be used fully.
But then again - everyone has his own taste  ;).

Thanks for the piccies, Tim, they really do like nice!

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:47:45 »
Yep, I'm with the Count on that one - the molded as armor arms are much easier for posing. The clip on arm pieces limit hand movement pretty severely.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 08:01:24 »
Nice review, Tim, and many thanks for it.

I like the red and yellow caparison on the horse, but would have preferred a lion rampant rather than the serpent.  It would be nice to see more heraldry which was just geometrical shapes and patterns as well as animals.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”