Author Topic: Hello from Deinze (BE)!  (Read 3634 times)

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
Hello from Deinze (BE)!
« on: October 04, 2017, 20:53:01 »
Dear Playmobil-friends!

I'm Boris, I'm currently 30 and I'm living in Deinze (Belgium, near Ghent). I'm new here so I'd like you to tell my personal Playmobil story, I used the text I wrote before in the PCC in order to apply for the Collector of the Month, which I won in January 2016. Since its closure was announced I was searching a new place where collectors are united. I'm glad I found PlaymoFriends and I look forward to share my stories, pictures and opinions about our beloved toy brand: Playmobil.

As for the most - including me - it all started in our childhood. As far as I can remember I got my first set when I was 4 years old. I got the Esso gas station (3434) and the bus (3782) as a present from Saint-Nicolas:

Afterwards my parents tried to spoil me with some different themes, it turned out that I liked sets including animals the most. So when I turned 6, my family surprised me with circus Romani. I think it was one of my happiest moments as a child! Everything was set up on the kitchen table as in the picture below:

Since I was born in Summer, I spent the whole holiday playing with the circus. Some other sets including the mother and her baby elephant - which I kept with my great-grandparents - had to be a part of the greater circus (of course). So I held a big ceremony introducing them to the audience (I clearly wasn't a great photographer at that time...):

In the right corner below you can see a hint of the 1900-oldtimer (5620), which unfortunately didn't survive my childhood. Years passed away and I eventually got the zoo and the jungle too, since I was a big fan of the animal themes. A couple of years ago I left my elder house (and my Playmobil), but my parents recently moved to another city, so my mother asked if I wanted to stock my old toys at my apartment. Of course I said yes... And when I got them (back), I couldn't resist to sort out the Playmobil per theme, which eventually turned into... Building a new diorama and collecting new sets! I have built a zoo (after the idea of a Belgian zoo Pairi Daiza) and a circus in the past years. The mother elephant (which I like to call Mary) and her baby are now adopted by the zoo, which makes them the oldest animals I have. Hereby two pictures, I will post more detailed pictures in the future. As for today I'm working on a new diorama, this time I'll go the Far West... To be continued!

I am very glad I came across this fanpage and I'm very happy to share my Playmobil-stories with you all!!!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: Hello from Deinze (BE)!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 21:22:58 »
Hello and a welcome aboard on Playmofriends  :)  from ... Destelbergen, just on the other side of Ghent!  :lol:

And thanks for sharing those images, I think I remember you winning the CotM-award in the PCC.
Looking forward to see your Far West developments...

Btw, do you know any other adult collector/fan in or near Ghent besides the two of us?  ???
The ones I know who are closest to Ghent are from Dendermonde and Sint-Niklaas...

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 21:33:33 »
Hello bml87

I am very happy to welcome you in PF!

I'm a Dutchman now living in Germany. Like you I love PM, though never branched out into Circus. After years of historical & ethnological stuff I only now discover the whole Space theme. There is just so much to enjoy!

Have fun in the forum and please make sure to ask Birdie, or another mod, to register you as a PCC member (even though that won't last very long  ;D). Doing so will open the PCC-members-only corner of the forum where over the last few weeks a lot of discussion has been going on (perhaps to the detriment of other sections of PF).

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 21:41:15 »
Btw, do you know any other adult collector/fan in or near Ghent besides the two of us?  ???
The ones I know who are closest to Ghent are from Dendermonde and Sint-Niklaas...

Thanks Hadoque! Well, to be honest, you're the only one I know that lives in the close area. And to be more honest, I never met a co-collector. I know there are more Belgians (via the PCC), as you probably do too, and recently I bought some second hand Playmobil from an (older) collector that wasn't aware of the PCC (or anything like it) at all. Or we are very rare and almost extinct in our country or there are many secret collectors.. I hope to visit a exposition (beurs) in the near future, the meet more people.
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 21:46:09 »
I am very happy to welcome you in PF!

Have fun in the forum and please make sure to ask Birdie, or another mod, to register you as a PCC member (even though that won't last very long  ;D). Doing so will open the PCC-members-only corner of the forum where over the last few weeks a lot of discussion has been going on (perhaps to the detriment of other sections of PF).

Thanks StJohn! I hope to go to Germany soon, I was thinking of Aachen or Köln, to complete the Roncalli sets! They are obviously cheaper in Kaufhof than in the Special Sale...

Well, I guess Sylvia already added me to that section, I will check it out!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 01:19:25 »
Welcome from Oregon in the USA!

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 06:58:32 »
Welcome from Oregon in the USA!

Thank you, Tim! And thanks for bringing us Animobil, has helped me a lot to collect rare animals!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:55 »
A warm welcome from North Yorkshire in the UK!  :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 10:40:51 »
Welcome from New Mexico (USA)! I'm glad you found your way to PF.

I'm from the same Playmobil era, except my theme was Victorian.  :P

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 14:27:33 »
Welcome from Stroud, England. You have come to the right place for friendly fellow-collectors, bml87! As things have been a little quiet here, we hoped the demise of the PCC might bring a few new people here (though there is nothing much to celebrate about the end of the PCC, really).

I too love the Circus theme and we (me, wife Ruth and children) have collected quite a lot of the sets. One of the most colourful themes, certainly!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)