Author Topic: Herpa Playcars Review  (Read 7019 times)

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
Herpa Playcars Review
« on: July 15, 2006, 21:40:31 »
A little time ago, I was able to acquire some of the Herpa Playcars. I was able to arrange for three sets of three cars to make their way to the US (thanks Rob! ;)). They ended up being an early birthday present (even though my children each claimed one of the cars, leaving me with just one. :D:D:D)!

I got the blue BMW Z4, the orange Z4, and the white Mercedes SLK.

All of the cars are well-made, although perhaps just a hais below the usual quality we expect from Zirndorf (they are made in China). The BMWs came with a pair of klickies, though the Mercedes did not. Instead, it came with a Santa Claus figure, and a miniature (HO scale) version of the SLK. despite this, the steering wheel is clearly designed to be held by a klicky, and they fit in the car perfectly. In fact, they are all wonderfully made to scale. They look great!

Other than that, the cars are quite similar. All have opening hoods, and the engine inside is fairly well detailed. The Mercedes, however, also has an opening trunk, while the trunk on the BMWs does not open. None of the doors open. The wheels roll well on all the cars.

The interior detail on the cars is very nice. They all have a shifter, and the console looks very realistic. I'd love to own a 12 inches to the foot scale version of ANY of these cars.

So, without further ado, the photos. First up, the orange BMW Z4.
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
Re: Herpa Playcars Review
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 21:42:04 »
The blue Z4 - which is now the modern Captain Henry's personal vehicle. (I am going to print some miniature piratey bumper stickers for him to personalize the car.)
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 21:47:49 »
The white SLK.

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 21:50:58 »
And now some more on the white SLK - this time with Sirena's policewoman (the SLKs new owner) and her canine companion. (I tried to explain that it is a little too much car on a police salary, but.... ;)) And finally a pic of the dog playing with its own "toy" car... Sirena set that shot up herself. :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 22:28:51 »
Those are great cars. I really like my BMW. The Mercedes looks pretty cool too. :) I liek the shot with the dog playing with his car - very realistic. :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:31:23 »
Thanks for the review, Cap'n.  Great photos, especially the last one.

I didn't know the Merc gad finally made it, although having said that Im a bit disapppinted in what it offers, espcially when you consider the quality of Herpa's HO (1:87) scale models.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tiger1983uk

• The Lurker
  • Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 13:45:35 »
Great pictures ;D
I also have the blue BMW Z4 but have yet to find a klicky of high enough status to drive it :lol:, I didn't know the SLK had come out, thanks for the review.
"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 18:52:28 »
Thanks for yet another really GREAT review, Cap'n Henry !!!

Do you know whether or not Herpa will be producing any other Mercedes cars for Playmobil ... ???

I really prefer the "SL Class" over the little "SLK" ... :lol:

The new ML or GL SUVs would also be nice to see in Playmobil scale ... ;)

Or even an X5 BMW SUV ... ;)

Or, a VW Touareg ... Or, any Porsche ... Or ... :lol:

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 21:22:46 »
Hello  CH  :wave:

These are great !! Thank you very much for taking the time to share them with us  :).

Kindest Regards  Tim  :)9

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 21:32:40 »
Thank you for this infos. I also didn't know that the Mercedes was out there (but I already ordered one on eBay a few minutes ago after reading this thread  ;D)