Author Topic: 4221 ambulance  (Read 5705 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
4221 ambulance
« on: January 29, 2007, 19:19:31 »
Today, I received the 4221 ambulance as part of a trade with Disnoke.  (It was posted from Belgium on Friday and with me by 0930 today, Monday.)

First four general views viewing the very effective livery and the general shape of the vehicle which nicely captures the style of the modern ambulance.  Whether it is a Mercedes Sprinter or a Ford Transit, people may argue over, but I think it is a Merc as Playmobil is a German company.

Ooooops! just noticed I've not put the number plate stickers on.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 19:27:33 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4221 ambulance
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 19:34:59 »
There's plenty of storage inside the rear body.  A nice touch is the storage for the saline drip feed and the feed from the built-in oxygen supply so that these are not just dangling.

It's unclear what the storage space at the rear which is empty is designed for.  The portable equipment from the ambulance car won't fit, for example.  A small case like those supplied will, as will the blue duffle bag which comes with the airport bus-stop.

The bulkhead storage for the drugs case and the case containing latex gloves etc is a nice touch.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 19:41:50 »
The interior has plenty of nicely executed detail, even down to the strengthening ridging in the lower part of the bulkhead, although the storage for the equipment cases is a bit of a stretch for a klicky.

When carrying a patient, there is a side seat for one of the crew.

The cab is quite spacious with some storage space between the seats (the same as the DHL van).  There is a space for a mobile 'phone on the dashboard (the 'phone comes with the set).  A radio will fit into the storage space between the seats, although a radio isn't supplied.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 19:45:16 »
The slide door slides towards the rear of the vehicle to open (it is actually a re-use of the sliding door on the combination rail carriage).  It is a very simple system with the minimum of moving parts and no need for a guide slot on the vehicle side.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 19:49:21 »
The stretcher has some new design features, notably in the toothed system for adjusting the angle of the headrest.  As with the previous version, the legs fold up. 

There is a holder for the saline drip at one end.

The rear doors open wide for easy access (wider than on the previous ambulance).

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 19:53:40 »
The crew are smartly dressed in almost dayglo orange reflective jackets, with nice detail differences between them.  A child cyclist comes as the accident victim, together with two plaster casts (arm and leg) and head bandages, none of which are shown here.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare the fitting system for the wheels on the bike, but I think it is a new version.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 20:00:44 »
As with the DHL van, the fitting for the wheels is similar to that for the RC vehicles.  The wheels come unassembled and each wheel is made up of a wheel centre, tyre, wheel trim and stub axle.  The tyres have on the name Playmbil and their size on the side and a fairly realistic tread.  What is odd, is that what appears to be a moulded valve on the wheel rim goes INSIDE the wheel arch when the wheel is on so that checking the tyre pressures means taking off the wheel.  (Having said that, the valve wouldn't be visible anyway with the wheel trim on, so maybe the wheel is a general purpose design with two different moulds, one with the valve outside and showing and the other inside and out of sight according to the vehicle it is on.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 20:15:54 »
Overall, I think this is a very handsome vehicle and a worthy addition to the DHL version.  These new vans are an excellent replacement for previous van and set new standards in attention to detail and realism. 

Changes to this ambulance compared with the 3925 version it replaces, are the more modern livery (presumably white and red has been chosen as an international livery) even though the EU livery for an ambulance has to be predominantly a prescribed yellow, the replacement of a blood drip by a saline one and better interior storage.  The wording AMBULANCE on the sides and rear is in a pale grey which nicely suggests the reflective grey lettering often found used today on emergency vehicles. The new style, low profile, flashing light comes complete with batteries and operates for 3 minutes per press of the operating button. 

It's clear that the Playmobil designers have been spending time at the local ambulance station or hospital.

How could it be improved?  Well, it would have been nice if on the cab roof AMBULANCE had been printed reversed, but that's a minor quibble and one I can probably sort out with a bit of decal work.  Still more minor is the lack of reflective stickers to go on the door mirrors.

I found the door mirror on the passenger side a loose fit, but a bit of bending of the central projection which holds it in place solved this.  I may, however, buy a spare just in case it breaks.

No doubt Playmobil will extend the range of vehicles based on this chassis, maybe a general purpose delivery van, a police van and so on, and maybe even a fire vehicle.  For 2007 they are introducing a light builder's truck (it may be a tipper, it's not clear from the picture) which I will add to my collection.  (And there seems to be a new short metal ladder on it which might be useful on a fire version.)

Hope you enjoyed this review and thanks taking the time to read it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 21:17:19 by playmofire »

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:29:29 »
Thanks for the great and thorough review Gordon, there is a lot more there than I had suspected. It is lower on my list than the helicopter but certainly interesting. Hopefully there will be some new regular fire vehicles for 2008.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 12:23:21 »
Glad you enjoyed the review, Tim.  The basic cab and chassis offer lots of opportunities for new versions, e.g. ice-cream van, mobile shop, burger van, minibus to name a few.

Hopefully 2008 will bring some new fire vehicles and if they're as good as this one I'll be queueing up to get them. :)