Author Topic: 5958 Nativity set review  (Read 8601 times)

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
5958 Nativity set review
« on: August 13, 2011, 21:19:36 »
I also picked this up at TRU yesterday.  I love all the christmas theme sets. This set was 20 dollars.  So here we go.

This is not that big of a set in terms of pieces.

This set actually has a plastic base instead of the old cardboard nativity scene.  There is a structure this time also, not the old cardboard barn.

The only thing cardboard in this set is the backdrop which is easily connected to the structure.

I like the new look to Mary and Joseph.  I think the angel is a new print also.  There are not alot of parts that come with this set as you can see.  The old nativity was the same price and you got the three wiseman a shephard more animals and a camel.  That was a better deal in my opinion.  I do however like the base a structure on this one.

I love the new prints on the klickies

Dislikes
For the money should have come with more parts and klickies.  The old nativity came with twice the parts and klickies for the same price.

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
Re: 5958 Nativity set review
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 23:42:48 »
Nice review, Elric!  :yup:  It was good to see the new figures up close.  I think St. Joseph and the angel are my favorites.  The structure and the base are a great addition.  I agree about the number of figures as opposed to the older set.  I would be willing to pay more money for a more complete set. 
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Celeste in New Orleans

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:52:54 »
I can't wait to pick up this set.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:55 »
Thanks for the review, Elric, of a nice set.  I guess the trade-off is plastic base instead of cardboard against extra figures.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:02:01 »
The previous nativity set didnt include the wise men I think - at least not in Europe and not in its original incarnation. The wise men was a different set altogether. I love this set - I actually love all biblical sets from PM. I think all of them are all really well done. They should really extend this theme and give us the opportunity to build bigger cribs.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:23:26 »
Thanks for the comparison between the old and new sets. I think maybe both are needed to get the best of both worlds!
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:42:04 »
The previous nativity set didnt include the wise men I think - at least not in Europe and not in its original incarnation. The wise men was a different set altogether. I love this set - I actually love all biblical sets from PM. I think all of them are all really well done. They should really extend this theme and give us the opportunity to build bigger cribs.

This is the set I was talking about.
http://playmodb.org/backs/5719_back.jpg

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:12 »
I like this set, thanks for the review Elric.
I also think that it looks poorly accessorized...this seems to be a PM trend nowadays.
I really love Mary and the angel....but that donkey with ears and eyes painted look evil!  8}
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 12:54:59 »
The larger 4884 has a lot more accessories for an additional $10 IMO - and as I recall when the first nativity set came out here in the US it didn't come with the wise men until the second or third year it was available... but when they combined the sets they took out a few accessories as well... I lament though that I only got 1 extra when playmo USA had them on clearance.

Anyway... this set looks like its the TRU trimmed down version, though it is also available direct (I'm told that this has something with backlash over last years ZOO incident where TRU got the sets in August of 2010 and nobody else got them until April 2011 and with target dropping the sets to seasonal or non-existant)

I like the figures though... I know he isn't in the trimmed down version but, I wish they had the shepherd separate in a special or something though (he makes a great monk)
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 13:20:23 »
Thanks for the review!

Passing quickly over the logic of a Nativity set being released in August, when I still haven't seen the new Knights and Agents sets appear in my local TRU, I'm a little disappointed that the structure is still 50% cardboard. That greatly reduces its usability for other themes and scenarios. I'd rather do away with the hideous baseplate, have a solid plastic back to the stable and the backdrop separate and still cardboard.

The previous nativity scene appeared in three sets, 3367 with just the M&J crew and a shepherd, 3365 with the wise men and a camel, and your 5719 which combined most of ther elements of both, but left out the very useful cooking pot & fire.

Despite my dislike of the big plastic baseplate I'll probably get the combines new Nativity scene when that appears.

How about a US exclusive Thanksgiving supper Diorama set? A Pilgrim family, a Native American Family, a couple of tables for them to sit at, and a big roast turkey?