Author Topic: My collection of all things western for playmobil including Native aboriginals.  (Read 47814 times)

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Just to give you all a taste of what is in store for this weekend when I opened all the storage boxes to show off the MIB sets. Oh and do not be scared this is not a basement, but a second floor warehouse.

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
That looks somewhat familiar........  ::)

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
hahaha,

I am sure the majority of you have simular storage collections, though these ones will just be coming out of storage on Saturday for pictures and then going back in. I will get pictures of the open stuff all set up when I have time to get everything built. I am only one individual and I do not have little ones yet to use as free labour, I mean enjoy quality time playing with. Sadly, the Colour sets will not be arriving until next week, so those will not be in the picture but I will just post pictures of each item as they arrive after this weekend.

Cheers,
James
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Well, I am trying (for years) to sort mine..... as noted in the neverending PROCESS : link

No kids here - and anyways, I don't think I'd want them any near my playmobil anyways!  :P

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
All I can say is shelves. I keep mine in boxes to prevent original box ware from sitting on the shelf. I have white lables on each box with that boxes contents. One day glass cases will come with UVA & UVB protective glass so that the boxes do not fade, hence another reason why they are kept in storage boxes.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Interesting to see.

Since you are going all UVA and UVB I will just point out that while you are storing them back you should put them in plastic bags to protect against moisture if the roof should leak etc. I am not a MIB collector and probably don't care for my archival stuff as well as I should, but I do know the risk of water damage. Since we are talking about boxes there is no way around the acidity of the cardboard and eventual decay of the packaging, just as there is a standing risk of a possible incompatible mix of soft and hard plastics. In old Marx sets from the 1950s there are cases of plastics melting because of contact between a soft plastic and a hard plastic. I don't know enough about the chemical composition of the plastics Playmobil has used but have wondered what will happen long term to some of the rubbery items. We do know that the clear light blue plastic from the space sets in the 1970s shrinks over time, and the small oval windows fall out of the old space ship or would no longer fit.

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Tim,

Thank you for bringing that up. I am aware that plastic will degrade over time and without having plasticizers to rub over the items there is not much that can be done to stop it from happening. However we can slow it down and what speeds that degradation up is exposure to sunlight more over to UVB radiation and to a lesser extent UVA. Because these toys the stickers and rubberized pieces are in sealed plastic bags they are not being exposed to air which is another form of degradation. The storage room that I use has two mercury vapor low light emitting fixtures that allow you to see enough to walk the isles and then the florescent lights only come on when I need to see box numbers. My father has a rather large collection of war board games which being mainly paper product require controlled environment for moisture, and temperature.  As for water damage there is a false ceiling that has channels in the event of a leak. So far it has not been an issue however the items are insured for fire, water and theft.

What I would like to do at some point is have them placed in special cases so that they can be enjoyed rather then just sitting in a brown cardboard box with a white label on it.

But my goal right now is to get all the western theme sets and as time goes on it gets harder and harder to find them in unopened boxes.

I may never be able to collect them all, but the ones I do get I would like to preserve them for future generations.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:13:13 by The_Mad_Hadder »

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Off topic but I'd be really interested in seeing your father's wargame collection. Has he got it posted anywhere?

As to your collection, your aim of glass boxing all your MIB sets is a high and noble purpose. I look forward to pics and I hope your project bears rich fruit. It will be a sight to see and an inspiration to collectors. The Gnomes of Zirndorf should take note.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Because these toys the stickers and rubberized pieces are in sealed plastic bags they are not being exposed to air which is another form of degradation.

I've opened several old sets where the stickers are all messed up :(

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Macroran,

The war games are all in plastic totes stacked. I would not know what is there as it is my father's collection and I never took an interest in warboard games with the little counters. I do not believe he has it posted on any site. But he has allowed me to store my collection there on an empty rack near the far back wall (rack is actually 4 feet away from the wall as nothing gets put up right against it. Though it was my father who got me into playmobil.