Author Topic: Widsith, part 1  (Read 1102 times)

Offline bhellman75

• Playmo Fanatic
Widsith, part 1
« on: April 17, 2013, 18:06:43 »
"Widsith" is an anonymously written poem from the Anglo-Saxon era.  It is a list poem, listing places, tribes and leaders that the speaker, Widsith, has visited.  I always thought that illustrating it would help people see how cool it is.  I think that its appeal to me is much like that of the random background characters of the first Star Wars films.  Boba Fett had maybe one line in the early films, but everyone wanted to play him on the playground.  All of those characters got action figures and everyone wanted to own them and know the random bits of information about them, all suggesting some sort of story and larger universe.  "Widsith" is like that, to me, at least.  I have about 100 images and will easily need thirty more to finish it.  When people start to get the feel of it, I'll start asking for suggestions for portraits of my last groups and leaders. 

Widsith spoke, unlocked his wordhoard...

He who had traveled most of all men through tribes and nations across the earth.

Often he had gained great treasure in hall.

He belonged by birth to the Myrging tribe.

Along with Ealhild, the kind peace-weaver,

For the first time, from the Baltic coast, he sought the home of Eormanric, king of the Ostrogoths…

…hostile to traitors.

‘I have heard of many men
who ruled over nations.'

‘Every leader should live uprightly,’

‘Rule his estates according to custom, if he wants to succeed to a kingly throne.’

Hwala, for a time was the best of all

And Alexander too, the noblest of men who prospered most of all of those that I have heard of across the earth.

Attila ruled the Huns

Eormanric ruled the Goths

Becca the Baningas

Gifica the Burgundians

Caesar ruled the Greeks

And Caelic the Finns

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 21:46:55 by bhellman75 »
Ben